The Senior Estimator is responsible for the overall project estimate while providing leadership, training, and mentoring for their team under the Preconstruction Manager. Works with clients, architects/engineers, subcontractors/ suppliers to plan cost factors for building projects; analyzes construction documents, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare time, cost, and labor estimates for projects by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
1. Prepares estimates with the proper level of detail for all design stages - Conceptual, Schematic Design, Design Development and Construction Documents.
2. Assists with maintaining the estimating cost data base to ensure costs are up to date.
3. As lead estimator, manages the estimating team in the assembly and submission of bids.
4. Supervises and trains estimators in the preparation of estimates and bids.
5. Consults with clients, architects, subcontractors, and material suppliers to discuss and formulate estimates, effect cost reductions, and resolve issues.
6. Studies specifications to assist the operations team in planning procedures for construction on basis of starting and completion times and staffing requirements for each phase of construction.
7. Researches construction documents and analyzes specifications to determine estimated
8. Works with the operations team throughout the preconstruction process in reviewing plans and specifications for constructability issues and determining general requirements on the project.
9. Creates, maintains, and manages the preconstruction / design schedule for projects.
10. Has the ability to manage and track multiple preconstruction projects at once.
11. Manage the subcontractor prequalification process and assure that awarded subcontractors have the proper experience and financial capabilities to perform on the project.
12. Reviews design documents for proper information to receive accurate pricing from subcontractors and suppliers, generates acceptable value engineering ideas, and prepares life-cycle costing.
13. Prepares quantity take-offs and estimates costs of materials, labor, and use of equipment required to fulfill all provisions of the contract.
14. Assures that self-performed estimates comply with the requirements of the overall construction contract with the Owner.
15. Understands how to create proper bid packages and works with the design team on the information required in each package to assure complete bids and giving the field team the right information needed to start construction or maintain the project schedule.
16. Assists with system analysis of building components and MEP Systems.
17. Manages the subcontractor solicitation process with programs utilized by Holt Brothers Construction, LLC and assures that the proper team members are part of the approval process for all bid lists.
18. Supervises and/or writes the specific and general instructions to bidders and required bid forms.
19. Reviews subcontractor and supplier bids for conformity to contract requirements and determines acceptable bids.
20. Presents and explains project budgets to clients, designers, and operations teams.
21. Administers buy-out process and hand off to the Operations Team.
22. Works with the Preconstruction Manager in the creation of all final estimates to be given to the operations and accounting team for creation of the project budgets.
23. Familiarity / Proficiency with the estimating, scheduling, project management software and internet based programs:
24. Take off quantities from plans under the supervision of Estimator II and Senior Estimator.
GENERAL BACKGROUND AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- B.S. degree in Civil or Architectural Engineering, Construction Management or equivalent field experience.
- Minimum of six (6) years commercial construction experience and a minimum of four (4) years of estimating experience.
- Capability to complete estimates for small and large CM/GC, CMaR, and Design Build projects as well as complex competitive bid projects.
- Independent sales strengths for presentations and projects pursuits.
- History of successfully working internally with the operational team and externally with owners, architects/engineers, and subcontractors.