As an Estimator I, you will be responsible for assisting in preparing schematic, design development and construction document estimates including soliciting and evaluating subcontractor bids, and scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys, reviewing project plans and specifications for all CSI (Construction Specific Institute) categories of work and performing additional duties as assigned under the direction of VP of Preconstruction.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
1. Performing accurate, thorough and timely quantity takeoffs using company format, detail and coding for some CSI division systems for all levels of project documents (schematic, design development, construction documents).
2. Developing accurate and concise clarifications and assumptions with VP of Preconstruction, Project Management team and Superintendent assistance.
3. Obtaining clarification on plans and specifications from architects and engineers when necessary.
4. Soliciting and analyzing subcontractor and vendor pricing input when required.
5. Attending project site pre-bid meetings, site tours, and post-bid interviews as required.
6. Developing unit costs accurately.
7. Performing technical/plan review when required.
8. Considering and understanding problems, and identifies appropriate solutions.
9. Developing knowledge in building designs, systems and construction materials through available resources.
10. Assist in accurately assessing and planning takeoff workload.
11. Possessing and/or becoming proficient in all computer software programs used in preconstruction with particular emphasis on estimating and scheduling software.
12. Constantly striving to improve individual capabilities, performance and expand knowledge of construction technologies and techniques.
13. Building effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meet or exceed the customer’s expectations.
14. Actively participating in industry, client, and community functions to market and enhance company image.
15. Participating in personal career development through continued education, on-the-job training, and participation in software training.
GENERAL BACKGROUND AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Must have four-year degree in Construction Management or Engineering and/or equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related experience
- Entry level to 3 years of construction experience
- Ability to take-off quantities
- Ability to utilize estimating software
- Proficient utilization of Microsoft Office Suite Apps (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Preliminary understanding of pricing
- Experience in soliciting trade/subcontractor bids
- Strong communication, organization and analytical skills